If you’re lucky enough to have a fireplace in your home, there are some important safety tips to keep in mind when using it.
First, make sure that your furnace or heater is turned off before lighting a fire.
If you have a gas fireplace, be sure to open the flue before igniting the fire. And always use a screen to prevent sparks from flying out into the room. If you’re not confident in your ability to safely operate a fireplace, consider hiring an HVAC tech to help you with regular maintenance and repairs. You might also want to consider investing in a smart thermostat or heat pump for your home. These can be more efficient and easier to operate than a traditional fireplace. And of course, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your particular fireplace or HVAC system. My family made the mistake of not having the fireplace and flue cleaned for a long time and we had a big fire in the chimney from buildup of creosote from burning too much pine. Pine has a lot of sap and the sap can build up in the chimney and cause a fire when it gets too hot. Make sure to follow the safety guidelines here, and others you may find online or from an HVAC pro. By taking these precautions, you can enjoy your fireplace while keeping your family safe. And try to not burn pine trees if possible so you can avoid the mistake we made so many years ago. Good luck to you all and happy burning.