Neighbor’s condo burned down because of mishap with portable heater

I was alarmed the other morning when I heard a bunch of sirens and I saw flashing lights outside. Then I couldn’t assume it when one of our neighbor’s had their condo going up in flames! All kinds of people gathered around the condo while the firefighters were working to knock out the fire. It was a devastating situation and both of us really felt terrible for our neighbors. We were really there talking with one of them and they were on the verge of tears. They said they had all kinds of irreplaceable things in the condo and they figured it would all go up in flames. We really gave them room in our beach house to stay while they were getting their beach house repaired, but they said their beach house warranty covered them with a hotel stay while they were getting needed repairs done. When I asked about how the fire started, that’s when our neighbor seemed to be really embarrassed. She said she had a portable oil furnace in front of him while she was seeing TV. She said she also had a blanket on him. She said that when she jumped up to go to the lavatory, the blanket really fell on the portable heater. The portable oil furnace just kept working until the blanket caught on fire, however by the time she got out of the lavatory the blanket was up in flames and the fire spread quickly. She rushed to get her fire extinguisher but the fire was spreading too fast for him. Then she shouted for everybody to get out of the condo and they called the fire department. I guess those portable gas furnaces really can be dangerous.

Air conditioning worker