Once the fire company showed up in hazmat suits, they opened all the doors and windows, and then they waited for the HVAC company
When I went to visit mom last week, I knew she wasn’t feeling well. Dad had already left for work, and I would stop by just to say on my way. I picked up groceries for her and dad to save him from needing to be away anymore than he had to be. Mom had recently had a heart attack, and we were all doing our part to make sure she didn’t have any stress for the next three weeks. We knew she was going to be tired for a while, so when mom was still sleeping at 9 AM, I thought little of it. I walked in to find her napping in the chair, but she didn’t wake up, even when I shook her shoulder. She seemed to be sleeping, but her color was a ruddy red. I called an ambulance and then I called dad. When the ambulance arrived, he told me to call the fire company and the HVAC company. He said mom was showing classic signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and if I hadn’t showed up, she would have been dead before dad got home. Once the fire company showed up in hazmat suits, they opened all the doors and windows, and then they waited for the HVAC company. The heat exchanger had cracked, which caused carbon monoxide to leak into the air ducts and into the air they were breathing. Mom was okay and came home from the hospital the following afternoon, but mom and dad stayed with us until they had a new furnace installed.