Neighbor’s house burned down because of mishap with portable heater

I was alarmed the other day when I heard a bunch of sirens and I saw flashing lights outside.

Then I couldn’t believe it when one of our neighbor’s had their house going up in flames! All kinds of people gathered around the house while the firefighters were working to knock out the fire.

It was a devastating situation and we really felt bad for our neighbors. We were actually there talking with one of them and they were on the verge of tears. They said they had all kinds of irreplaceable things in the house and they figured it would all go up in flames. We actually offered them room in our home to stay while they were getting their home repaired, but they said their home warranty covered them with a hotel stay while they were getting needed repairs done. When I asked about how the fire started, that’s when my neighbor seemed to be entirely embarrassed. He said he had a portable heater in front of him while he was watching TV. He said he also had a blanket on him. He said that when he jumped up to go to the bathroom, the blanket actually fell on the portable heater. The portable heater just kept working until the blanket caught on fire. By the time he got out of the bathroom the blanket was up in flames and the fire spread quickly. He rushed to get his fire extinguisher but the fire was spreading too fast for him. Then he shouted for everybody to get out of the house and they called the fire department. I guess those portable heaters really can be dangerous.

Air conditioning technician